Saturday, June 23, 2007

And Then There Were Two...

Welcome to the world Baby Bird #2...Baby Katie. Looking at these pictures, it's hard to tell them apart at this point, but it sure is interesting to look at them!




















Kevin arrived home from New Orleans late last nice and was welcomed home by a bed-load of kids this morning...filled with tales about taking turns sleeping in Mom's bed in his absence, swimming at Auntie Cheryl's, crafts at Crane Park with Grandma and, of course, the announcement that the baby birds had hatched.

I continued to try several times last night to approach the nest to check and see if the 2nd egg had hatched. In the past, Alice would let me get within about 5 feet and then she would take off, often perching on the house and watching as I held my camera above the nest taking pictures. Always careful not to touch. But apparently Alice and I are now tight. She trusts me. I all but reached out and touched her last night, coming to within a foot of her, but she just stared at me and wouldn't budge. So I stood there having a little conversation with her, mama to mama, and she just stared back. After 5 minutes of nearly nose to beak discussion, it was apparent she wasn't going to fly off so I gave up.



















Now this afternoon was different, but then again, I may not have been approaching Alice, but probably daddy Jesse. He isn't quite so comfortable with me and he took off across the lawn. So up I went with my camera to discover our newest addition. They are moving around, and responding to the noise of the shutter. It's interesting to see now that what we thought were their eyes are obviously ear holes. Their eyes, as you can see in a couple of these pictures, are still shut.

Anyway, we are enjoying having them stay with us for a little while. Hopefully we will soon get to watch them be fed and then learn to fly, eventually leaving the nest for good. I have to say that while I complain at times about the chaos of this life we live, I admit I'm relieved that the blessings we have in our children will last a bit longer than Alice's. So I'll enjoy watching her raise her babies knowing I can enjoy my nest full of children for a little while longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.