Friday, June 22, 2007

New Arrival!

We officially have a baby bird! I checked on Alice and her nest this morning...she's been such a diligent Mama Bird, only leaving the nest when she feels I get too close. She will let me get within about 5 feet of her, but any closer and she takes off to perch on the house and watch what I'm doing. Anyway, as of this morning at 10am, we still had 2 eggs in the nest. But a few minutes after 2pm today, (day 15 of incubation for egg #1 and day 14 for egg #2) I checked in and viola! Baby James has arrived. Odd, there is no sign of egg shell anywhere, on the ground or in the nest. But he must have just hatched as he appears to still be wet and in the form of his egg.

The kids are absolutely excited! Of course they want me to pick them up and let them see for themselves, but I wanted to back off and let Alice do what she needs to do without the anxiety of having 3 loud, anxious kids shaking her nest. So for today, the kids can see the baby via pictures. Kevin, who's been in New Orleans all week on a mission trip to the inner city, is due home late tonight. No doubt his first job tomorrow morning will be to hoist each one of his kids into the tree to see life unfold!

2 comments:

weezie said...

Omigosh!
too sweet!! I've been so apprehensive, so worried. Those birds have such a fragile life and death existence. They get rid of the evidence of birth so sniffing animals will not discern them. Even cats will not know they are there unless they move ... and mama will try to be sure they don't if there is a danger.
So precious .... lovely photos

Patti said...

Thanks Weezie. Do you think the mother eats the shell remnants? or does she carry them off?