Friday, May 18, 2007

Snapshots in Time


The end of the school year...I remember how much fun the last few weeks of school were. I don't even recall why we went really. It seems it's just packed full of fun and holds little educational value. Yet something about palling around with your buddies the last few weeks, when you knew you wouldn't see many of them for a while just makes the days sweet. So many things have changed in the world since I was growing up, that the fact remains that the end of the school year is just as exciting now as it was 35 years ago feels good.


The 1st grade Spring Concert was held Wednesday morning in the school auditorium. Followed by a picnic lunch at the park adjoining the school grounds. The pictures here show Austin and Julia with some of their school chums at the park. This is such a great age for taking pictures! No more squirming around and actually posing on occasion! Easton (in the yellow visor) has really stood out this past year as being Austin's best friend. I'm so glad that he has found a good friend who he has fun with. And his family is great. I don't have to fear what happens when he goes to their house. I know they aren't watching R-rated movies or getting into trouble when he's there. Easton's parents have great values and I feel Austin is really safe with them. I can't say that for a lot of families out there, so I we're blessed that their friendship is blossoming.


Julia has made a great friend this year as well. Jenna (in the floral tank top) lives in the neighborhood too, and joined them in their class this year. They love to get together to play Polly Pockets, Barbies, Dress-up and Easy-Bake ovens. And a big plus, Jenna's family has a pool, so Julia has had fun going over there when the weather is hot and swimming for hours. Again, another family I feel safe having my daughter spend time with. As a matter of fact, Jenna's Mom will be Julia and Austin's 2nd grade teacher beginning in July! Girls are funny at this age. They are growing up too fast. Already, in 1st grade, they are being mean and gossipy, boy crazy and status conscious...I wasn't ready to deal with that already! Seems like those things didn't arise until 3rd or 4th grade years ago. But the world is different. I've tried to set the standard with Julia about talking and sharing these things with me, and so far so good!


Oh, so back to the Concert. I think I actually enjoyed seeing the kids ENJOY singing! Ha! I've never not loved watching my kids on stage, though I've always wondered if they enjoyed it. You know, that "deer in the headlights" look as they mumble through what they can remember of the words to the songs. Well, 1st grade has been a turning point. They love their music teacher Mr. Tovar, and not only did they sing 7 songs at the concert, but they knew every last word AND every hand movement...and did this all with pleasure-filled smiles on their faces. Loved It!

And this week saw the year-end Award's Ceremony at Awana's too. Andy was beside himself to get his 2nd year Blue ribbon for completing the year 2 book of verses. He's done with Cubbies and moves up to Sparks next fall. That one is growing too fast! For Mother's Day he hand-printed on his card for me, "I enjoy you Mom." Not I love you, I enjoy you. That one makes me smile a lot! I enjoy you too Andy!



Seen and heard around the house this week....

I walked around the corner into the living room to find Andy laying belly down across the coffee table, feet hanging over one end and hands and heads hanging over the other end, and Austin, standing over him doing some sort of karate-chop on his back. I asked what they were doing and Andy said Austin was giving him a massage! They saw it on Jimmy Neutron.

Those boys....talked me into taking them to Target last night to purchase 2 GameBoy Pokemon games that they had saved enough money to buy. They had their piggy banks out and Austin announced that Andy gave him some money so he could buy the Pokemon Game....apparently, Austin, who studied currency values this year, talked (suckered) Andy into giving him a $20 bill! I asked Andy if that was true and Andy said, "Yeah, I told Austin he could have it." Very matter of factly. Oh course, a $20 bill is no different than a quarter in Andy's book. Austin is getting pretty sneaky with the whole money thing. But, when we put the $20 back into Andy's piggy bank, we added up what each had and there was enough for 2 video games. SO all's well that end's well.

And Julia's room is clean this week. No, that is not a common occurrence and yes, it is worthy of mention! LOL! She has the absolute best closet in the house. A better walk-in than the master bedroom. And I know someday she'll appreciate it for what it is... a closet. but for now, it is completely cleared out of any sign of clothing and is currently "Her Secret Clubhouse". I admit, I think it's pretty cool. She has a light in there, and has decorated the walls with her artwork and other sparkly and shiny things. She even pulled her nightstand in there for an art desk. Can't say the girl doesn't use her imagination. One day it will make her millions, but for now, we just need to keep her focused and channel it. The clubhouse, cause I don't have to see it, is a great start!

PS...the picture of the 4 boys up above....the boy with the "Blame my Sister" shirt is currently Julia's secret crush. She wrote his name all over the walls in her closet! Dawson S.

No comments: